My Photo
Name:
Location: Flat Creek, Alabama, United States

A dear friend of mine once said, "I've been around this rodeo enough, to enjoy life as it is dealt to me each day." It has given me an entirely new perspective on life. To describe myself, … I am an easygoing, very low maintenance, down to earth kind of person. Keywords are honesty, truth and integrity. What makes me tick? I guess you could say life. I am a spiritual, but not religious. I do not believe any one set of people, beliefs or teachings have the sole method of what is truth. I accept and respect all beliefs. I believe that is more important to walk your path, than it is to talk your path. Personally, I am more "aligned" with what can be called the "natural-way" or the Ancient and Olde Way.

Powered by Blogger

Monday, October 17, 2005

Two Years in Florida

Today, October 17, 2005, makes it two years that I have been back living in Central Florida after spending 24 years in Central California. It has been an interesting two years to say the least. So here's a little personal assessment.

Pro's of Central California
1. Had quite a few "friends" and "acquaintances" there.
2. Sacramento area is two-hours from Reno/Lake Tahoe, two to two and one-half hours from the San Francisco/Oakland Bay Area, three hours from the Pacific Ocean, four to six hours from the beautiful redwoods of the northern US-101 corridor.

Con's of Central California
1. It's E X P E N S I V E
2. A great many people are "plastic" and I don't mean "silicone". They're phony, smiling out of one side of their mouth and plotting to stab you in the back out of the other.
3. Cultural diversity ... last I checked California was still part of the United States, yet how many Californian's speak English as their first and primary language?
4. California state politics - the State Assembly where you can get legislation passed on sexual diversity and gender bias, but can't get legislation passed to post the photo's and address locations of the State's thousands of Registered Sex Offenders on the Internet, like 39 other states already have done.
5. Earthquakes, no notice shaking, rattling and rolling.

Pro's of Central Florida
1. I can wear shorts nearly all year round.
2. The cost of living is not expensive relative to average wages.
3. People say what they mean, i.e., being politically correct isn't the "in" thing to do. You actually know where you stand with people.
4. Gulf of Mexico is 90 minutes away, Atlantic Ocean is 90 minutes away and the water is generally warm in both places.
5. Hurricanes typically give you seven days advance notice before attempting to ruin your day, destroy your house and mess up your life.
6. See #1, bikini weather nearly all year round, lots of silicone revealed.
7. At least six Bald Eagle nests within a fifteen minute drive of home.

Con's of Central Florida
1. Haven't been here long enough to make some good "friends".
2. Have to go to Tampa (80 minutes) or Orlando (60 minutes) for any significant amount of "night-life" or "cultural events", this is kind of like John Denver's reference to Toledo, Ohio where they allegedly roll up the streets about 10:00 pm.
3. Being part of the "bible-belt" region, some areas are still back in the bronze or stone age.
4. This region of Central Florida is allegedly the "meth-capitol" of the world, ... I've seen better teeth on race horses than some of the men, women and children here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home