My Photo
Name:
Location: Flat Creek, Alabama, United States

A dear friend of mine once said, "I've been around this rodeo enough, to enjoy life as it is dealt to me each day." It has given me an entirely new perspective on life. To describe myself, … I am an easygoing, very low maintenance, down to earth kind of person. Keywords are honesty, truth and integrity. What makes me tick? I guess you could say life. I am a spiritual, but not religious. I do not believe any one set of people, beliefs or teachings have the sole method of what is truth. I accept and respect all beliefs. I believe that is more important to walk your path, than it is to talk your path. Personally, I am more "aligned" with what can be called the "natural-way" or the Ancient and Olde Way.

Powered by Blogger

Monday, October 31, 2005

The Purpose & Meaning of Life



What is the purpose of life?
Everyone has a purpose in life. A unique gift or special talent to give to others. When we blend this unique talent with service to others, we experience the ecstacy and exultation of our own spirit, which is the ultimate goal of all goals.

" Spirit has given each of us a special way of serving others. Some of us can speak with wisdom, while other can speak with knowledge, but these come from the same Spirit. To others Spirit has given great faith, or the power to heal the sick, or the power to work mighty miracles. Some of us are prophets, and some of us recognize when God's Spirit is present. Others can speak in different languages, and still others can tell what these languages mean. But it is Spirit who does all this and decides which gifts to give to us."

The above passage from the Christian Bible, the Apostle Paul's first letter to the church ar Corinth (1 Corinthians 12:7-11) identifies eight gifts of Spirit ... wisdom, knowledge, faith, healing, miracles, prophecy, speaking in tongues and understanding other languages. He also states that Spirit decides who receives what gift. Which can also be taken to mean that some may not receive a gift of Spirit. Here it is important to point out that there are other things ... talents ... that a person may possess that can be used in service to others.

At this point it would be interesting to review the etamology of the word used here as "service" and later in the Apostle Paul's letter to the church at Ephesus where in a similar context he uses the work "edifying". Both are the imparting of ones ability to another, however to edify is to build up. Where as service can be anything from an actor to zoologist, and everything in between.

As I have grown older, the teachings of Jesus of Nazereth "that unless you change and become like little children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven," has taken on new meaning. Look at a little child ... most of the time they have a big smile on their face and they're having fun with life. They are exploring the world about them. They are not affraid to play. They are affriad when they are hurt, when they are hungry, when some of their needs are not met, but they don't worry about the past, don't care about the future, and only live in the present moment.

Very young children are not affraid to express what they feel. They are so loving that if they perceive love, they melt into love. They are not affraid to love at all. That is the desciption of a normal human. As children we are nto affraid of they future or ashamed of the past. Our "normal human tendency is to enjoy life, to play, to explore, to be happy and to love." (Four Agreements of Toltec Wisdom)

So what is the purpose or meaning of life? In an ideal world the purpose or meaning of life would be to do that which you have a talent for, which likely means that you are happy doing it, and to do it in service or for the betterment of those around you ... to quote former President John F. Kennedy ...

... "And so my fellow Americans ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country. And my brothers and sisters around the world, ask not what American can do for you, but what together we can do together for the betterment of mankind."

Mitakuye Oyasin,
A Guardian and Servant of Spirit,
Silver Eagle

6 Comments:

Blogger Mystical Me said...

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!! Take care, MM

12:04 PM  
Blogger Silver Eagle said...

Thanks MM ... XOXOX

__________________________________

In spice of the original post about the purpose and meaning of life ... here's two questions ...

1) If money was no concern and you had all the time and money in the world, what would you do?

2) With #1 in mind ... How are you best suited to serve humanity?

- - - - - - - - - -

Silver Eagle

10:04 AM  
Blogger JLee said...

I think I would go back to school to learn how to heal people in some respect. I love doing massage therapy for it's healing properties. I had a chemo patient tell me that a massage cured some phantom pain, and I loved that I could do that for her. I imagine healing power traveling through my hands and pure love and I know that people feel that. My other interest would be music and art...to bring that to people in some way....recording music, making movies, etc. That is a very thought provoking question!

6:23 PM  
Blogger JLee said...

ps
that's why I love that song I recorded on my first audio post "A Place in the World" It talks about that very thing...

6:25 PM  
Blogger Silver Eagle said...

JLee ...
By all means do it .. (back to school for massage therapy, holistic medicine, reiki, etc.) .. imagine a life where one could truly do something day in and day out that they really enjoyed doing and making a living at it while helping and healing others.

I realize in this present world, money, often is an issue, i.e., to pay for training or schooling, unlike the days of the old Druid's etc, when those with a talent would be taken under the wing, per se, of a teacher or mentor.

Then you have to battle against what is considered "social norms" especially if your "line of work" is outside the traditional box. This has been my biggest and formidable obstacle, but all obstacles can be circumnavigated, some just more easily than others.

SE

7:09 PM  
Blogger Silver Eagle said...

One more thing ... lol

JLee wrote .. "I imagine healing power traveling through my hands and pure love and I know that people feel that. My other interest would be music and art...to bring that to people in some way....recording music, making movies, etc"

Imagine a "guided meditation" CD on healing while you personally provide the massage! Here's an example ....

Music Meditations and Initiations with Ellie

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home